wdyw
What Did You Watch 28

What Did You Watch – What The Redhead Said

This week on What Did You Watch we have the very lovely Donna from What The Redhead Said, Donna has very kindly included some fabulous youtube clips so if you are not familiar with the shows, you soon will be! I think it’s a fab idea and may have to go and add some for all of the other weeks….

I loved watching TV as a child and most of the shows that have stayed with me are ones with catchy theme tunes – or bizarre set ups, the sort of thing you would find hard to forget. Here are my favourites from the 1980’s and 90’s!

Raggy Dolls

Watching this cartoon now it just looks so old but at the time I loved those floppy dolls and the adventures they would find themselves in. The Raggy Dolls were rejects of the toy factory and despite their physical differences they could all still be friends and kind to each other – really positive underlying moral messages about disabilities I think.

Fun House

If you grew up in the 90’s then you will have the Fun House theme tune stuck in your head forever. The fun in the Fun House built up over three rounds – a gunge round, then a karting round and lastly a mad dash around the Fun House. It was great to watch and I remember dreaming that I would one day be able to run around that Fun House too!

Sesame Street

I watched Sesame Street religiously as a child and part of me wished I lived in America to have the childhood of the kids on the show. The characters were fantastic – Big Bird, Oscar, Bert and Ernie and so many others. It was educational too and gave me a love for The Muppets that I still have today.

Incredible Games

Now, this is probably a show that you don’t remember when you hear the name but what if I said it was based around a lift – David Walliams as a lift actually. Kids went up in the lift and played games on each floor. These were things like swimming around in a bowl of alphabet cereal or playing chess against the dark knight. The show ended with the children making it to the penthouse and having a big finale. This was one of my favourite TV shows and another that I wish I could have participated in.

Poddington Peas

Another cartoon that I can still sing the theme tune too! Peas living at the end of the garden amongst loads f everyday – and huge to them – objects like boots and flower pots. A really nice cartoon that sadly only ran for one series in the late 1980’s.

Some more brilliant shows, I remember most of them and I LOVED the Poddington Peas theme tune too.

I’m sure you all know where to find What The Redhead Said on all social media, but just in case, she can be found on Twitterย facebookย and instagram.

Thanks for letting us have an insight into your Childhood viewing, its been great to have you xx

You Might Also Like

28 Comments

• MsPrettyLThings says: March 4, 2016 at 6:43 pm

My favorite out of this list was the raggy dolls I used to watch it every week. Nice walk down memory lane.

• Ickle Pickle says: March 4, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I remember Sesame Street and Poddington Peas, but am not familiar with the others! Great post. Kaz x

• Rhian Westbury says: March 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm

I used to watch fun house all the time, it remainds me of my childhood x

• Miss Kitty Kaos says: March 4, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I loved Raggy dolls so much! The show people was amazing as well I had all the books did you watch that one?
    Miss Kitty Kaos recently posted…Sole Mates With Wynsors ShoesMy Profile

• Leanne says: March 5, 2016 at 6:58 am

Ah the nostalgia!!! Loved all these programs! I really liked THE Shoe People too!

• Donna says: March 5, 2016 at 8:20 am

Thanks so much for having me! x

• Laura H says: March 5, 2016 at 8:55 am

Think I’m a bit too young for all of these! I never really got into Sesame Street as a child for some reason, though my friends love it!

• Jessica says: March 5, 2016 at 9:15 am

I miss Sesame Street! :I Elmo and cookie monster are my favorites! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Jessica recently posted…Luxury Hotel Review – Kempinski Hotel, Baku, Azerbaijan @kempinskiMy Profile

• Anca says: March 5, 2016 at 10:40 am

It’s such a nice feeling to remember different things from the childhood, like these shows. x
    Anca recently posted…Vapiano ManchesterMy Profile

• becky says: March 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

INCREDIBLE GAMES!!!! For years I have been trying to remember this show! Well…I am about to how the kids, that’s our day sorted!! ๐Ÿ™‚ X

• Donna says: March 6, 2016 at 4:19 pm

So glad to have been of service ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• Emma White says: March 5, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I am actually sat singing the theme tune of raggy dolls now ha

• Angela at Daysinbed says: March 5, 2016 at 3:37 pm

This actually was the best post i’ve read all week. It just reminded me of things id forgotten and almost made me sad thinking how life has changed since my childhood. What a lovely selection of shows! Angela from Daysinbed

• Tori Gabriel says: March 5, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I love these posts! Such a great flashback to the past. I remember all of these though I wasn’t allowed to watch Sesame Street because it taught “Americanisms”(zee, faucet etc.) The irony is I spent most of my adult life working in the States so this would have helped.

• Sarah Bailey says: March 5, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Yup I pretty much watched all of those as well, oh the memories! x

• Fashion and Style Police says: March 5, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Great programmes here. I loved Sesame Street a lot.

• Charli says: March 6, 2016 at 1:08 am

I loved Poddington Peas and Sesame Street, such great programmes!

• Emma @ From Aldi To Harrods says: March 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Oh wow, I’d never heard of any of these! I grew up in South Africa and don’t remember any of them!

• Natasha Mairs says: March 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm

OMG Funhouse!! That used to be my favourite show on TV. Me and my sister used to always beg our mum to ring them up and ask if we can go on!
    Natasha Mairs recently posted…Free and Cheap Kindle Books #1My Profile

• Ana De- Jesus says: March 6, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I never watched Fun House before but I did like watching Sesame Street it was an absolute classic. Is it still on telly now?

• Renna says: March 6, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Great post! I watched all of those, and yes..they all have a catchy themetune…

• Sarah says: March 7, 2016 at 8:55 am

Oh my goodness!! This is like my whole childhood, haha. I loved raggy dolls and fun house! I have many memories sitting and watching them with my brothers and sisters (and them arguing over what to watch next!) Ahh, this made my day, thank you. xx
    Sarah recently posted…Parents evenings and world book day.My Profile

• Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says: March 7, 2016 at 10:10 am

I was obsessed with Fun House. I always wanted to go on it and someone from my school was actually on it – I was so jealous.

• Tara | C&CO. says: March 7, 2016 at 10:55 am

I love seeing what other people grew up watching! I was a big Power Rangers fan

• Sally Akins says: March 7, 2016 at 11:46 am

Ah, I can still remember the theme tune to Raggy Dolls, and yes I was definitely desperate to go in Fun House!

• Daniella says: March 8, 2016 at 9:37 am

I watched all of these but Raggy Dolls was probably my favourite one.

• Deanna says: March 12, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I didn’t watch any of these as a little girl! But we were talking about this at work and one of the ladies was going on about Raggy Dolls and how much she loved it!!!!